What is the friends and family option on PayPal?
PayPal is one of the most famous ways to make international transactions as well as domestic transactions. You can send money to Friends and Family members and also vendors, via PayPal mobile app or website.
If you want to send money to friends and family members, you won’t have to pay a fee. All you need is your friend’s email address, phone number, or PayPal username, and a connected bank account or credit or debit card.
In this article, I have described everything you need to know about What Is The Friends And Family Option On PayPal.
PayPal friends and family option
- We are able to send money to PayPal friends and family members using the mobile app or your desktop computer.
- To send money through PayPal, be sure that you have a bank account, credit, or debit card already connected to your account.
Note: The following applies to Personal PayPal accounts. If you have a PayPal Business account, friends and family payments may not be available to you.
What is the friends and family option on PayPal?
When you want to send or request money through your personal PayPal account, you can choose the option whether it’s a “Friends and Family” payment or a “Goods and Services” payment.
Friends and Family payments are often used to pay back a friend, deliver money to family members abroad, or send digital gift cards.
How do I use the PayPal friends and family option?
To send money using the PayPal friends and family option, both you and the recipient need to have a PayPal account.
Sending money with PayPal friends and family option only takes a few steps:
1. Visit the official site https://www.paypal.com & click Log in.
2. Sign in to your PayPal account. If you already have an account, enter your username and password, and then click Log In.
- If you are new to PayPal, you’ll need to create an account and add a payment method before you can send money online. Click the Sign-Up link and follow the on-screen instructions to create your account. See How to Use PayPal for more info on setting up an account.
- See How to Add Money to PayPal to learn how to connect your bank account, debit, or credit card to your account.
3. Click on Send & Request tab.
4. Select a payment option. The option you choose will determine how the payment is processed and how fees (if applicable) will be applied.
- Click Pay for goods and services if you purchased something from someone and want to process a payment. This payment method includes a fee for PayPal Purchase Protection.
- Click Send to friends and family in the US if you want to send money to someone in the US for personal reasons. This option is free.
- Click Send to friends and family internationally to send money to someone in another country. This option requires the use of a third-party service called Xoom.
5. Under Send money, enter the recipient’s email address or mobile phone number and click Next.
- Confirm that you have the email address or phone number is correct before sending money so you don’t accidentally send it to the wrong person.
- Click on the field instead of typing the information if you have sent money to this person in the past. A scroll-down list will appear that shows everyone you’ve paid recently.
6. Enter the amount and click Continue.
- Your location’s currency should already be selected from the drop-down menu. If it’s incorrect, select the correct currency now.
- Anything you type into the “Add a note” field will be sent to the recipient.
7. Review your payment details. This screen displays a summary of the payment you are about to make. Review all of the details before you send your payment.
- If the selected payment method is not the one you want to use, click Change Payment Method, select or enter an alternative, and then click Next to confirm.
- If your PayPal balance is enough to cover the payment, it will be used to make the payment. If your account balance doesn’t cover the whole amount, PayPal will apply the balance and take the rest from your default payment account.
8. Click Send Payments Now.
- The recipient will be notified of your payment immediately.
- If the recipient doesn’t have a PayPal account, they’ll be prompted to create one.
PayPal friends and family option: How much does it cost to use?
PayPal friends and family option can be made to anyone in the U.S. for free (from your bank account or PayPal).
If you are sending money internationally, you may be charged a transaction fee equal to 5% of the send amount (up to $4.99 USD).
When you pay with a debit or credit card, you’ll be charged a small processing fee—for both domestic and international transactions. Currently, the rate is 2.9% + a fixed fee (varies by currency; $0.30 in the U.S.).
FAQ On What Is The Friends And Family Option On PayPal
1. How do I use PayPal friends and family option?
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click the option ‘Send & Request‘.
- Choose payment option – ‘PayPal Friends and Family‘ Or ‘Goods and Services‘.
- In the ‘Send money‘ section, Enter a phone number, email, or contact name.
- When prompted, select ‘Sending to a friend‘.
- Enter the payment amount. You can add a note to your friend.
- Review your Payment Details & then click on ‘Send Payment Now‘.
2. Can you get scammed on PayPal Friends and Family option?
If you want to send somebody money through PayPal Friends and Family, and you are expecting to get something delivered to you, and that “something” does not get delivered; there’s nothing to do about it!
The PayPal policies state this clearly that this type of payment should not be used for getting something delivered to you. You should use PayPal Goods & Services to get something.
Even if you received your item, and PayPal found that you are using this type of transaction, they could deactivate your PayPal account and kick you off the platform because it’s against their policies and procedures.
3. PayPal Friends and Family vs Goods and Services
- Sending Money to PayPal friend and family: This is used when sending money or a gift card to a friend or family member. Before you complete a payment, you can opt to pay the fee, or pass it onto the recipient to be covered by PayPal Purchase Protection.
- Paying for Goods or Services: This is used when you buy an item or service from someone. When you make a purchase, the seller pays a small fee to receive your money. Your payment is covered by our protection policy automatically.
You can also create a personal payment to anyone in the U.S. for free. Just make sure that you pay for the entire payment using your bank account or, if you have a PayPal Cash account or PayPal Cash Plus account, your balance. There is a small charge for payments made with a debit or credit card.
Note: Currently PayPal is unable to allow personal payments to or from India.
4. Are you covered on PayPal friends and family?
PayPal policies clearly told: “PayPal Buyer Protection does not cover money transfers between PayPal friends or family. If someone selling you goods or a service asks you to send money through PayPal friends and family, you should refuse him.
5. Can someone reverse a PayPal friends and family payment?
You all know that PayPal friends and family payments can be reversed. PayPal will not do it, however, if you dispute a friends and family charge with your bank, they are capable of reversing it. For example, if you claim that your account was hacked, they can and have reversed payment.
6. Why is PayPal charging me to send money to a friend?
If you are a PayPal account holder in the United States, want to send money to a friend or family member with a PayPal account in a country other than the U.S. then PayPal will charge you & the fee you pay depends on the Payment Method used and the amount you are sending.
7. How do I link a bank account to my PayPal account?
Visit this page- Link Your Bank Account To Your PayPal Account
8. How do I link a debit or credit card to my PayPal account?
9. How to send money through PayPal friends and family app?
10. What is the PayPal friends and family fee?
For detailed information visit this – PayPal friends and family fee
11. Can I pay friends and family with PayPal credit?
Currently, your PayPal Credit limit cannot be used to send money to friends and family or to deposit funds into your bank account.
For more details visit- PayPal FAQ
12. Why does my PayPal not have friends and family?
There may be some issues on the recipient’s side. If others are also not able to send friends and family payment to that person’s account, please ask your friend to reach out to customer support to look into it. They can reach customer support by Facebook, Twitter, or phone, or email.
13. Do you have to pay taxes on PayPal friends and family?
Any income you receive through PayPal, whether or not it’s reported on Form 1099, must be included on your tax return. If you file as a sole practitioner, income will need to be reported on Schedule C.
14. What makes you eligible for PayPal credit?
When you apply for PayPal Credit, you’ll be asked to provide your date of birth, your income after taxes, the last 4 digits of your Social Security number, and agree to the Terms and Conditions. You’ll know within seconds if you are approved.
15. Can you withdraw money from PayPal credit?
A strictly digital line of credit is PayPal credit (backed by Synchrony Bank). You will not use the account to make ATM or POS cash withdrawals due to the fact that there is no physical card.