How To Create Custom Keyboard Shortcuts Windows 10: In Windows 10 Operating System, keyboard shortcuts are a very beneficial tool to navigate and operate the experience and features using a single press of one or multiple keys, which otherwise will take several clicks and more time to accomplish using the mouse.
In order to open an application, you would find the location of the same & click on the icon repeatedly. This continuous mouse pointing and clicking not only consumes your energy and wastes your precious time; it also adds unnecessary strain on your eyes and shoulders.
The best method to resolve this issue is to use Keyboard Shortcuts. A keyboard shortcut is a key or a combination of keys that allow quick access for a specific function that is normally done by a mouse. Windows 10 has a feature of creating custom keyboard shortcuts windows 10 for all programs. In this article, I will discuss about how to create custom keyboard shortcuts windows 10.
How To Create Custom Keyboard Shortcuts Windows 10
There are different types of methods you can create custom keyboard shortcuts windows 10. You can use these all methods to create custom keyboard shortcuts windows 10 desktop apps, metro apps, and even universal apps. Here I have mentioned a step by step tutorial with pictures on how to create these shortcuts.
The Start Menu Method
Step 1: Click on the Start Menu.
Step 2: Search the application’s icon/tile in the Start Menu whose shortcuts you want to create. If you are unable to find the desired app then click on All Apps and navigate through the alphabetically ordered list of applications installed on your computer.
Step 3: Once the app is found, right-click on it, scroll to ‘More‘ and then click ‘Open file location‘ option. A window will open with the shortcut icon.
Step 4: Now, select Properties by right-clicking on the shortcut icon. A Properties window will open where you can add a key combination.
Step 5: Scroll to enter a shortcut key or combination of keys in the shortcut text box.
Step 6: Click Apply and then Ok, a custom shortcut key has been created.
Desktop Shortcut Method
Step 1: In the Cortana / Search box, type ‘cmd’ to open the command prompt.
Step 2: Then, type the command ‘explorer shell: AppsFolder’ and press the Enter key. A window with a list of all your apps appears.
Step 3: Now, right-click on any application of your choice and select Create Shortcut option.
Step 4: Click Yes, when asked via a new window pop up to create a shortcut on the desktop. A new shortcut icon appears on your desktop.
Step 5: On the Desktop, right-click on the newly created shortcut and select the Properties option.
Step 6: Scroll down to enter the shortcut key combination in the Shortcut key text box. The combination must be Ctrl + Alt + a letter / number.
Step 7: Click Apply and then Ok to save the shortcut.
Note: Keep in your mind that do not use the same key combination twice. Also note that some programs use Ctrl + Alt + keyboard shortcuts that would also launch if you were in their windows. For example, in Photoshop Elements, Ctrl + Alt + I brings up the resize menu.
Considerations For Create Keyboard Shortcuts Windows 10
Here are some tips for creating custom keyboard shortcuts windows 10 that are meaningful and easy to remember:
- For easily remember your shortcuts, you should use the first letter of the program correspond to the shortcut. For example, if you want to create a shortcut for Microsoft Excel, you would use “E” as a shortcut.
- If you want to use numbers, have your most-used program have “1” as a shortcut.
- If needed, adding tactile labels to the keyboard can help users remember which shortcut is which.
- Note all the shortcuts you have created. If you forgot them then check it.
- Keyboard shortcuts can be used even when another app is open. Make sure that the shortcuts do not override the functions of other apps.
FAQ On How To Create Custom Keyboard Shortcuts Windows 10
1. Can I create my own keyboard shortcuts?
You will be able to customize your keyboard shortcuts (or shortcut keys) by assigning them to a command, macro, font, style, or frequently used symbol.
Read my above article on how to create keyboard shortcuts windows 10 & follow the instructions given. You can create your own keyboard shortcuts.
2. How do you create text shortcuts?
- Define your AutoText entry as you normally would.
- Choose Customize from the Tools menu. Word displays the Customize dialog box.
- Click on the Keyboard button. Word displays the Customize Keyboard dialog box.
- Position the insertion point in the Press New Shortcut Key text box.
- Press the shortcut key you want to use. For example, if you want to use Ctrl+A, then press Ctrl+A. Just below the Current Keys text box, you should see the name of any commands currently using this shortcut.
- In the Categories list scroll down and select AutoText. The defined AutoText entries appear at the right side of the dialog box.
- In the list of AutoText entries, select the one you defined in step 1.
- Click the Assign button to assign the shortcut.
- Click on Close to dismiss the Customize Keyboard dialog box.
- Click on Close to dismiss the Customize dialog box.
3. How do I add keyboard shortcuts?
Read my above article on how to create keyboard shortcuts windows 10 & follow the instructions given. You can add keyboard shortcuts.
4. How can I customize my keyboard?
- On your Android device or tablet, open the Settings app.
- Tap System Languages & input.
- Tap Virtual Keyboard Gboard.
- Tap Theme.
- Pick a theme. Then tap Apply.
5. How do I change hotkeys?
- Open the Activities overview and start typing Settings.
- Click on Settings.
- Click Devices in the sidebar.
- Click Keyboard in the sidebar to open the panel.
- Click the row for the desired action. The Set shortcut window will be shown.
- Hold down the desired key combination, or press Backspace to reset, or press Esc to cancel.